4.04.2006

Surprise, Surprise

I love my husband, I really do, and I love everything about him: the red hair, the oversized t-shirts, the “I have never owned a pair of jeans in my life and I’m not starting now” aspect, and similar to the previous point – the never settling for anyone “even when your wife buys the pair of jeans just to see you in them so she can take a picture and then return them.” He has his standards, and I’ve learned (or am still in the process of) not to try and push the envelope, so to speak.

Justin is a big sweetheart, and though he’s never done much in the way of surprises, I’ve still loved his attempts, even more than the gifts themselves.

So I got home from work after a particularly hectic day, greeted by the Walls and then my husband. The blinds-guy had come by to repair a set of blinds that were malfunctioning and I was getting ready to ask Justin why he wasn’t picking up any phones earlier that afternoon (so I could let him know the blinds-guy was coming) when he said, “Go into the bedroom, I have a surprise.”

Okay, so maybe my mind was in the gutter the second he said that, and I was anticipating as such when I walked into our bedroom – you know, candles lit everywhere, maybe a piece of lingerie, because well, my mind was in the gutter. What I didn’t expect to find was a jewelry box on the bed.

See, I’ve only gotten a few pieces of jewelry from Justin and they are near and dear to me. One is this James Avery ring shaped like a heart that he gave me when we first started dating. The next two were the engagement ring and subsequently the wedding ring, and around Christmas (either this year or last… it’s a bit of a blur) I got a very pretty diamond heart necklace.

So seeing the box on the bed that said Helzberg Diamonds got me pretty excited. I think I was already hugging him and I hadn’t even opened the box yet.

So there it was: a necklace that I had wanted two years ago: those three diamond ones, Past-Present-Future. And OMG, the diamonds are brilliant!!! Seriously, appraised and everything and worth more than my rings combined. I about fell over with happiness for two reasons:

One, this came out of nowhere. Yesterday wasn’t a special day, it was just another day in the week. It caught me off guard and I loved it!

Two, well, hello – diamonds really are a girl’s best friend and these things are stellar.

So now I love an additional item about Justin: his element of surprise, and well, maybe the fact he sure does know how to pick jewelry, a very important trait in your husband.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

how sweet of him! :)

Anonymous said...

how sweet of him!