4.28.2006

The 'Nilla Effect

Nilla® Wafers are the bomb.

As a child, you get your first taste of them in banana pudding. I am not a big fan of bananas, so I would use the pudding opportunity to steal more than my share of the circular goodness.

Flash forward to when my mom was trying to be frugal and purchasing the off-branded version of the ‘nilla, like “Hi-Top” Vanilla Wafers from Sack ‘N Save. Complete failure. I told her as such.

So we did a taste test. I told my mom that she could put the ‘nilla with two other different versions (like the Keebler version… don’t let those stupid midgets fool you, those vanilla wafers have a nasty aftertaste) and told her I could tell her which ones were which, blindfolded.

And, because I don’t talk trash without backing it up, that’s what I did.

From that moment on, my mom was a believer. And through high school (and occasional grocery runs in college) that is what my mom got me.

And then I forgot about them. In college they tried this whole “New and Improved” but the ‘nilla didn’t need improvement. And so I forgot about them because it just wasn’t the same

But I saw them again for the first time in years at CVS yesterday. I had to run in to obtain some womanly items (I guess I could say TMI here, but this entire blog is TMI, so you really read at your own risk) and as I’m walking to the register I see the glorious ‘Nilla wafers. A whopping $4 is pretty ridiculous for a box, but I couldn’t help myself.

Oh, and they went back to the original goodness that is the ‘nilla. Let me freakin’ tell you.

So thank you Nabisco. You momentarily sold yourself out, but you have been redeemed in my eyes. Thank you… (tear falls) Thank you.

No comments: