4.17.2006

Happy Belated Easter!


You know, I love going home to see family, especially on special occasions such as Easter, but by the end of the trip, I’m so happy to be home – very far away from all of them. Funny how that works, huh?

We got to Dallas Friday morning in time to watch a little “The View” and then hop on a conference call for about 1.25 hours (even when I’m off work I think in time entry terms… evil). Justin started aggravating me, because his family was waiting for me to get off the call so they could eat. But I told Justin in the car I was fasting on Good Friday, I can’t eat meat (they were going to Subway and their veggie sandwiches suck) BUT HE WASN’T LISTENING (or apparently looking, I even wrote it down for him on a post-it note while I was on the call). Luckily, it was a short-lived fight (though in front of his parents, which is embarrassing) and all was repaired in the matter of minutes ;)

I then went to a garage sale a friend of Justin’s family was having (and there was nothing there!), followed by some shopping out at Firewheel with Justin's mom and sister. There, I realized, as I’m about to purchase THE CUTEST pair of pants, my wallet isn’t in my purse. That was a scary few seconds – I was afraid it fell out of the car or something when we stopped to get gas in Waco. Luckily, it had just fallen behind a seat in the car, but I didn’t have my car with me, so I had to put the pants on hold. Booo. The lady at the counter thought it was pretty funny though. And looking back, I would have to agree.

After shopping, we went to Bowl-a-Rama in Rowlett, where I played the crappiest two sets in history. How embarrassing, though I didn’t drop the ball behind me like the work-bowling event. Once that horrible game was over (though Kristy did have seven gutterballs in a row, followed by her 142 the next game… why couldn’t I have been that lucky!), we went and ate at Napoli’s down the street. Mmmm, it was nice to get my one meal in for the day. I love me some baked cheese tortellini!

The next day my mom, Justin’s mom, and myself went to another garage sale of a family friend, and I didn’t see anything I particularly cared for. After that, Mom and I went back out to Firewheel to shop and get those bloody pants!!! ARGH! So got those, headed back over to the house to see my mom, dad, and sister, and went to a wedding shower of a neighbor’s daughter. Stayed there long enough to congratulate her on the impending nuptials, and ventured back home for a few before heading to On the Border to meet Justin’s family for dinner. Mom tagged along, and I had the blandest house salad ever. Totally disappointing.

Followed that up with seeing V for Vendetta, which I recommend to all. Amazing storyline and very pertinent to today’s political and social climate. Went back home and watched The Chronicles of Narnia, and unfortunately, was very glad I didn’t see that in the movie theatre. I LOVE the whole series of C.S. Lewis’ (and A Devine Mercy too… amazing writer) but the movie bit. The scenes that built up to the fight were mediocre and the whole movie could have flowed much better if it had a narrator, like in the book.

The following morning I get woken up with word I have 15 minutes to get ready for church. Lovely. Luckily, the Lord doesn’t mind I wasn’t wearing makeup that day, although I’m pretty sure others did. ;) The pastor went a little overboard with the singing, and had a tendency to repeat his message three or for times before moving on, but other than that, it was okay. I prefer Catholic mass, but I guess that’s why I’m Catholic and not Baptist.

After church, we went back home and prepared the Easter meal, where both of Justin’s grandparents and my parents and Gran came over. I’m pretty sure I ODed on sugar (I gave that and soda up for Lent) and then tried to layout and swim.

Lesson I learned trying to swim: even though it is in the mid-90’s, don’t get into a pool in mid-April unless you want a death wish. Justin thought I wouldn’t get into the pool because it would be too cold. I told him he could push me in, that’s how confident I was that the pool was at a tolerable temperature. Incorrect. It was so freaking cold. Gross.

Then we drove home, hit crappy traffic, and watched Desperate Housewives. Pretty decent episode, although I thought the end of it sucked.

And that was my Easter weekend. Pretty uneventful, yet packed with family activities. Maybe that’s why I don’t like going home all the time. I don’t get a moment to breathe :)

No comments: