3.03.2008

Goodbye, dear Trinitron

Many of you know that I love me some consumer electronics. I don’t know why, I just know that a lot of you come to me for advice, which is awesome. My fondness for all things consumer electronics stems from my dad’s love of gadgets. Commodore 64 aside, one of my favorite memories is Dad teaching me to set up the VCR at the age of four so he didn’t have to. Of course I didn’t realize that my dad was lazy at that age, I just thought he thought I was really smart (which, of course, I am).

But see, this wasn’t just any VCR, this was a VCR/Camcorder combo VCR from Panasonic. Probably the coolest invention ever. Maybe. Probably not. And that bad boy lasted from when I was three until probably 16, which is quite impressive. The only thing that surpassed it was the TV it was attached to, a Sony Trinitron 27” with wood paneling. Oh yeah, wood paneling. It was heavy, ugly and oh so big (for a little kid). And that bad boy lasted from the early 80s until my freshman year in college. And my dad only got rid of it because my mom wouldn’t stop bitching about how long it would take to turn on (a long ass time is how long).

So nostalgia hit home during my daily read at Gizmodo today. I learned that Sony is finally killing the tube TV, lovingly known as the brand “Trinitron.” *Tear* Sigh, I feel like it was yesterday that I was watching my favorite Disney movies on my Trinitron… oh wait, I own one of the newer versions of the TV and have Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid and Aladdin on DVD so it probably was yesterday. (I’m not kidding – my sister and I watched Aladdin on Friday)

But seriously, it was like I was 10 again, watching my favorite Disney movies my dad illegally dubbed (haha, dubbed) on the family Sony Trinitron and Panasonic VCR. Wow, the VCR is dead too. Man, I guess this is when you realize how old you are. Now kids have pink flat screen TVs in their room with their little Macs and iPhones. God, I didn’t even get my own landline phone in my room until seventh grade.

This post went depressing real fast. But I just got real happy when I saw Walter in my living room picture! Hi Walter!!

Side bar exciting news – the TV in the living room picture will be headed to the bedroom and replaced with a new Sony Bravia 46” LCD XBR! Happy day! We’re getting built-ins to finally rid ourselves of that blank wall that’s been plaguing our living room for the last two years. Woot woot! Can you tell? Sony has instilled customer loyalty in me since the tender age of four. Advertisers, you can’t buy this kind of loyalty.

No comments: