1.13.2010

A New Decade...

January 13, 2000, 9 a.m.: If it was an "A" day, I am currently sitting in Coach Hall's Calculus class three seats behind the young man I would eventually marry, pretending to solve an anti-derivative while I secretly play Tetris on my TI-86 calculator. The thought of even kissing the boy would have most likely resulted in hysterical laughter. Hahaha.

If it was a "B" day, I am currently sitting in my English class discussing some Shakespearean play while also talking about our happy place and "the good ice." (some of you will get that reference)

Most importantly though, my mind is wondering if I will get accepted into the University of Texas (the only school I applied to... stupid move or genius, you decide) and if I will get enough scholarship money to afford to attend the school.


January 13, 2010, 9 a.m.: Playing my violin at work and mapping out my work and personal to-do list for the remainder of the week. Writing down "2010" on a piece of paper suddenly causes me to reminisce on what I was doing this time 10 years ago.

---------------------------------

First off, I'm amazed I even remember my class schedule from 10 years ago but don't recall what I did three days ago with exact certainty. Some days I still feel like I'm 18 -- soaking up as much knowledge as I can and adore going out with my friends. Other times, I've felt the weight of the world on my shoulders -- with more responsibility and decisions than I would care to have at 28.

What will the 10's bring? Is that even how you reference this decade? I have no clue :) I mean, most likely I'll have children (holy smokes...), my parents will retire and maybe my mom won't dye her hair anymore and be completely gray (oh no...), and maybe Justin will get into the doctorate program he applied for (which means he gets to relive the 00's all over again? who knows).

It's exciting and scary all at once. Not knowing what the future may hold for you. So far, I'm approaching everything -- both personal and professional -- as a unique learning opportunity to further my own brain, skill set and experience.

But it would be nice to have a cheat sheet, says the girl who reads the back of a book to make sure the ending is to her satisfaction before committing. ;)

4 comments:

becki said...

Great post! And we probably had the same schedule for Calculus, and I know I was in English talking about good ice with Justin.....were you in that english class, too?

Jenni said...

Yeah, you might have been in that class. I know we had our 4A Spanish class together. Remember our song? Bailamos?! LOL.

becki said...

BAH!!!! Yes, we were the nerds spending our time in physical fitness class practicing our Spanish songs/dialogues....Is there a root issue in there somewhere?

Jenni said...

I am the 1/4 Hispanic of the two of us ;) So it only makes sense for me to relearn my heritage, right? I don't know what your excuse is... haha.

BTW, is it bad that I do not recall anything from my Spanish classes, other than watching Pocahantas in Mr. Burnam's class (and our ridiculous skits)?