6.23.2010

The New Job

I’ve gotten a lot of e-mails from friends and family asking about my new job – if I like it, hate it, etc. So in the interest of not repeating stories 10 million times, I’ll just go ahead and blog about my experience so far. Granted, I’m only in my third week, but I’m starting to get an idea of the culture, the work and the expectations my co-workers have for me – and what I have for myself.

It’s not that I hated the PR agency routine (in fact, I still adore my old agency and the folks I work with – they set a standard in work that I can only hope to emulate at my new job), but coupled with Justin’s unemployment and a need to take my career to the next level, I decided it was time for a change. That said, after seven years at various agencies, I was tired. As much as I love carrots, you sort of hate chasing them after awhile because when you do get a carrot, it tastes a few days past its shelf life. I guess that’s the best analogy for working at a PR agency I can find.
Would I ever go back someday? Absolutely – if the right opportunity presented itself and if my future children were in school. One thing I’ve learned at all of the agencies I’ve worked at is that it is near impossible to be content as both a professional and as a mother. Some people have done it, but I know more that haven’t than I care to admit. I guess that was another sidebar reason why I decided to move on.

So, now I work for a large corporation with a large base here in Austin. They make a slew of products – some more recognizable than others. I do PR for two different business groups that are part of a larger subdivision of the company. One of them makes successful connectors and flex circuits for a variety of electronics; the other makes amazing multi-touch displays for a variety of professional markets. Did I just set your non-geek heart aflutter? I thought so…

I also get to do employee/retiree communications and I’m in charge of the volunteer coordination for the 3M Half Marathon. So if you’re reading that part, I’m so signing you up to help out. Especially you, Kim, because I saw your name on last year’s list. And don’t use the Houston Chevron Marathon as an excuse because we can always use help with stuffing bags. And if you are feeling like you need a challenge, sign up for the Half Marathon now!! 

Clearly, I can’t turn off my PR brain… anyways, the point is I love it. And I love it for a few reasons. I get direct access to the marketing/business managers that make decisions versus at an agency you usually have a client blocking or being the conduit to your recommendations. That’s probably the most important difference. But there is also something about working with such a large company that inspires you, makes you strive to be the best you can be, just to be noticed and rise above the rest. And I like that challenge. 

In some ways, it reminds me of going from high school to college. You go from a place where people know you or perhaps you’ve been pigeonholed into a certain group that maybe you didn’t want to be in. And going to a large corporation is like going off to college (especially one like UT with its 50k students). You are one of many, and if you want to make an impression and do great things, you better bring you’re A-game. 

And the honeymoon will probably wear off at some point. But for now, I am totally enjoying this period of my career.

No comments: